Friday, April 23, 2010

Exploring Geneva


When I arrived back to Switzerland after my trip to Budapest I spent the afternoon wandering around Geneva, because I had never actually found time to explore the city yet. It turned out to be relatively young, cool, and trendy, with lots of students, but still with a lot of old world feel in history and fancy architecture.  It seemed very family oriented, but also a bit small and very quiet, although since it was a holiday I might have gotten a skewed impression.  Just like in Budapest, it was very artistic, with lots of galleries, museums, and street musicians playing for money.  I also noticed lots of rollerbladers, attracted to the flat landscape and smooth unbroken pavement.

We walked around for a bit, found a gorgeous outdoor cafe at which to eat lunch, then walked around the old town and along the edge of the lake.  The Jet d'eau, the fountain that defines Geneva, was very impressive up close, and I was glad my friend had talked me into seeing it.







These birds had no shame.







The Jet d'eau








No comments: